Lesson 2: The Day of Christ, The Rebellion, The Antichrist2 Thessalonians 2:1-17 and 3:1-5
In this lesson, we will examine end times, the Antichrist and the role of the Church today in light of the Apostasy amd Rebellion and the subsequent second coming and Day of Christ.
Read 2 Thessalonians 2:1-17 and 3:1-5 and and consider the following questions:
- Paul refers to "the Day of Christ" in verse 2, what are the three things that must happen prior to this "Day"? (see Chapter 2, verses 3 and 4)
- Who is the "son of perdition"? (Hint: he is NOT Satan)
- What does the Antichrist (the son of perdition) do? (see also Daniel 7:23 - 27)
- ANSWER 1: He sits _________.
- ANSWER 2: He tells everyone he is _______.
- ANSWER 3: He changes times and ________.
- When is the Antichrist revealed? (verse 8)
- What do you suppose is now holding back evil that will be removed in order to reveal the Antichrist?
- If you believe the Holy Spirit is currently holding back the advance of Satan and the revealing of the Holy Spirit then you can also see how the doctrine of the rapture affects the true church. If the Holy Spirit is "removed" what happens to the true church at that time?
- What does the word Apostasy mean?
- What will the apostate believe in? Look at the following verses and list each thing you learn about the specific time of apostasy Paul is writing about - the falling away, the rebellion, the teaching of a lie for the truth - what will they believe? (1 John 2:21-22, 1 Timothy 4:1-3, II Timothy 3:1-5 and 4:3-4, and 2nd Peter 3:3-6)
- Based on our reading, then, we can begin to develop a list of apostate beliefs - abortion is ok, homosexuality is ok, divorce, etc. They will also teach God is not sovereign, Christ was not born of a virgin, Christ is not the only son of God, there is no literal hell, and that each human being controls his or her own destiny. Do you think these things are being taught and believed today?
- In this portion of Paul's letter whom is he talking about? Who will rebel, who will believe a lie for the truth, and who will be falling away? (No, it's not the world around us - it's the Church!) Paul is telling us that in end times the Church will rebel and will fall away from the truth. Do we see this happening today? It will be the mission of the Laodicean church to attract people "with itching ears" and to teach apostasy. By the time Christ returns the church will have completely adopted world beliefs and philosophies and will have completely abandoned the Gospel. No wonder they'll think the Antichrist really is God!
- Read again Daniel 7:23-27. You'll see references to changing times and laws. This refers to him being allowed to actually change physical laws, seasons of the year, and so on. God will send a great delusion and allow the antichrist to mislead all who have abandoned or rejected the gospel. What else can we learn from this passage and Paul's letter about the antichrist? Who are the saints he persecutes, and how long does he persecute them?
- Now have a look at Daniel 11:21 through 12:13. While you may not understand it all this is the reign of the Antichrist. List some of the main things he does. Can you find the mid tribulation point in this story? Can you also find what Matthew 24:14-16 refers to?
- Paul states two things we are to do in light of the end time information we have been provided. Read 2 Thessalonians 2:13 through 3:5, what are the two things we are to do? (verse 2:15 and 3:5)
- 14. Make a list of the "teachings" or "traditions" we are to hold on to - what are the teachings that are the most likely to be challenged as the time of Christ's second coming approaches? What are some of the ways we can stand firm? And finally, as you consider this question, consider that if you do not know what the fundamental doctrines of the church are, and what God's word teaches, how will you stand fast, and how will you know the truth versus a lie? If ever there is a time to study God's Holy Word, it is now.
Have a great week everyone!
Yours in Christ,