Missions: 13 Weeks
Week 10 w/answersSouthern Baptist Disaster Relief
Welcome to our tenth week of studying about missions and focusing on the mission-related work currently on-going in our neighborhood and around the world. This week we’ll look at the Southern Baptist North American Mission Board's "Disaster Relief" organization.
The stated purpose/mission of Southern Baptist Disaster Relief is to provide help to victims of natural and man-made disasters, such as floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, fires, and terrorist attacks in North America and overseas.
Based on your findings at the Disaster Recovery web site above, the associated Resource Manual found there, and the information found at the Virginia Baptist Disaster Relief Services web site, answer the following:
- What are the four stages of disaster response ("The Four R's")?
- ANSWER 1: Rescue
- ANSWER 2: Relief
- ANSWER 3: Recovery
- ANSWER 4: Reconstruction
- Who administers Southern Baptist Disaster Relief
- at the national level?
- ANSWER: The North American Mission Board, Atlanta, GA.
- at the state level?
- ANSWER: The Virginia Baptist Mission Board / Glocal Missions and Evangelism Team, Richmond, VA.
- at the local level?
- The NorthStar Church Network, Annandale, VA.
- at the national level?
- What are some ways Southern Baptists minister to those suffering from disasters?
- ANSWER 1: Mass feeding
- ANSWER 2: Crises counseling
- ANSWER 3: Temporary child care
- ANSWER 4: Chainsaw / mud-out / clean-up
- ANSWER 5: Water purification
- ANSWER 6: Pet therapy.
- What disaster relief assets do Virginia Baptists utilize?
- ANSWER 1: 2 mass feeding kitchens (15,000 meals per day)
- ANSWER 2: 1 small fly-away feeding kitchen
- ANSWER 3: 11 disaster recovery trailers
- ANSWER 4: 4 shower / laundry units
- ANSWER 5: 2 water purification units
- ANSWER 6: 1 temporary child care unit
- ANSWER 7: 2 50-kilowatt power generation units
- ANSWER 6: 1 command and coordination unit.
- How many Virginia Baptists have been trained for disaster relief?
- ANSWER: Approximately 2700 (and growing).
- What organizations do Southern Baptists partner with in disaster relief?
- ANSWER 1: American Red Cross
- ANSWER 2: Salvation Army
- What are some occasions when Virginia Baptists have responded?
- ANSWER 1: "9/11" – feeding rescue workers in Manhattan
- ANSWER 2: 2005 Hurricanes Katrina and Wilma
- ANSWER 3: West Virginia flooding
- ANSWER 4: Rochester, NY ice storms
- ANSWER 5: 2006 Huntington community floods in Fairfax County.
- What are some ways Southview members can participate in Virginia Baptist disaster relief efforts?
- ANSWER 1: Get trained
- ANSWER 2: Volunteer for a disaster relief team call-up
- ANSWER 3: Pray for disaster relief teams
- ANSWER 4: Contribute to defer costs for disaster relief teams (volunteers go at their own expense).
- Additional resources related to Southern Baptist Disaster Relief:
In my home church, Southview, we are fortunate to have Dave Tolliver as the local coordinator for VA Baptist Disaster Relief.
It is encouraging to be affiliated with an organization that ministers to people at their basic needs level, and demonstrates the love of Christ to them in a very tangible way.