Missions: 13 Weeks
Week 7 w/answersCrossLink International
Welcome to our seventh week of studying about missions and focusing on the mission-related work currently on-going in our neighborhood and around the world. This week we’ll look at an organization called "CrossLink International".
CrossLink is a faith-based, international humanitarian aid ministry. They provide medical supplies of all types to mission teams who staff hospitals and clinics in under-developed countries. These teams minister to the sick and injured in the name of Jesus Christ but serve in the community regardless of religion.
Their website is located at http://www.crosslinkinternational.net.
Based on your findings at the CrossLink International web site, answer the following:
- How long has CrossLink been around, and how did it get started?
- ANSWER 1: In the early 1990's, a Sunday School class forged a relationship with a sister church in Russia. In the course of this relationship, the class noticed that food, basic medical care and warm clothing were difficult to obtain and too expensive for the average Russian. Over a period of 3 years, class members worked with their church, neighbors and community collecting donations to ship seventeen 40-foot containers to Moscow.
- ANSWER 2: The Russian relief program ended in 1996 because it had become too difficult to get containers delivered to Moscow. Meanwhile, the volunteers had developed effective systems to acquire and transform donated goods and funds into aid to the world's poor and they felt God's calling to continue the work. In November 1996, CrossLink International was incorporated as a humanitarian aid ministry.
- Where is CrossLink headquartered?
- ANSWER: Falls Church, VA
- What are some of CrossLink's accomplishments since it was founded?
- ANSWER: Since 1996, CrossLink has shipped more than $33 million in medical materials. In FY 2005, CrossLink provided critical medicines and supplies for 359 mission teams, clinics and/or hospitals, positively impacting the lives of approximately 600,000 men, women and children. Most recently, it responded to the needs of Gulf Coast residents suffering from the effects of Hurricane Katrina.
- How is CrossLink funded?
- ANSWER: CrossLink is funded by individuals, churches, foundations and corporations, and is an affiliate of the Combined Federal Campaign and the United Way of the National Capital Area. In addition, groups such as The Diocesan Fund for Human Need, The M.E. Foundation and the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship have awarded grants to CrossLink.
- What are four specific financial ways for you or your organization to become a "link" in CrossLink's supply chain of healing and hope?
- ANSWER 1: Purchase a Clinic Pack - A $25.00 gift purchases a stethoscope, blood pressure cuff and a digital thermometer, vital diagnostic tools, to be donated to Third World clinics and hospitals.
- ANSWER 2: Adopt-A-Mission - A donation of $500+ adopts an entire mission project, enabling CrossLink to purchase necessary medicines and supplies to treat those in need. Project pictures and reports are sent to you upon completion of the mission.
- ANSWER 3: Sponsor a "Vessel of Hope" - Your church or organization can provide essential equipment and resources to struggling hospitals by funding ocean containerized shipping. A gift of $2500 - $5000 will purchase a 20' or 40' container for CrossLink to fill with medical resources.
- ANSWER 4: Become a CrossLink Partner - The needs are tremendous! A financial gift of $500, $1000, $5000, $10,000 or more a year will enable CrossLink to supply tools of healing and hope to a desperate world.
- What are five non-financial volunteer ways for people to personally get involved in Crosslink?
- ANSWER 1: In the CrossLink warehouse - sort, inventory and pack medicines and supplies.
- ANSWER 2: In the CrossLink office - administrative support.
- ANSWER 3: In the eyeglass recycling center - help recycle used eyeglasses.
- ANSWER 4: As a CrossLink courier - assist in the collection of donated goods.
- ANSWER 5: As an assistant in the planning and implementation of CrossLink special events.
- What is CrossLink's "tagline"?
- ANSWER: "Supplying Healing And Hope In God's Name".
- What other organizations is CrossLink affiliated with?
- ANSWER 1: ECFA (The Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability).
- ANSWER 2: TECH (The Technical Exchange for Christian Healthcare, Inc.).
- ANSWER 3: AERDO (The Association of Evangelical Relief and Development Organizations).
- ANSWER 4: CCIH (Christian Connections for International Health).
- ANSWER 5: USAID (The U.S. Agency for International Development).
It's encouraging to know that a local organization like CrossLink is following God’s commands to care for the sick, especially victims of war and natural disasters around the world.