Missions: 13 Weeks
Week 9 w/answersDoctors Without Borders
Welcome to another week of studying about missions and focusing on actual mission related work currently on-going in our neighborhood and around the world. This week we’ll look at an organization called “Doctors Without Borders”.
Focused on helping others in need, Doctors Without Borders/Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an “independent international medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters, or exclusion from health care in nearly 60 countries.” You will need to visit their website in order to complete this week's assignment. Their website is located at http://www.doctorswithoutborders.com.
For this week’s lesson answer the following:
- In what year was MSF formed and who formed it?
- ANSWER: In 1971, by French Doctors and French journalists.
- What was the motivating force behind the formation of MSF?
- ANSWER: The famine in Biafra, Nigeria.
- How are they organized?
- Five operational sections and thirteen non operational sections.
- List the eleven things MSF does:
- ANSWER 1: Massive vaccination campaigns
- ANSWER 2: Training and supervision of medical personnel
- ANSWER 3: Water and sanitation improvement
- ANSWER 4: Data collection
- ANSWER 5: Feeding
- ANSWER 6: Patient Care
- ANSWER 7: Maternal and Pediatric Care
- ANSWER 8: Distribution of drugs and medical supplies
- ANSWER 9: Mental Health Care
- ANSWER 10: Rehabilitation of hospitals and clinics
- ANSWER 11: Aids care and prevention
- If you wanted to work for MSF what are four broad areas you could work in?
- ANSWER 1: Work in the field
- ANSWER 2: Work in the Office
- ANSWER 3: Volunteer in the Office
- ANSWER 4: Work as an Intern
- What percentage of all the donations MSF receives actually gets applied to delivering program services?
- ANSWER: 86.63%
This has been another week of study where God has opened our eyes to the overwhelming need of millions of helpless and sometimes hopeless people. Once again this week we see work going on around the world that is aimed at helping those who cannot help themselves. We continue to pray for the success of this and all of the missions we’ve studied. I pray that you’ve been as blessed and encouraged by this study as we have, and that you’ve committed to helping at least one of them with either your time and talent or your finances, or both.