Lesson 7Mankind’s Purpose: Why Did Christ Create Us?
"Lord, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done wonderful things, things planned long ago." Isaiah 25:1
God has a plan. He has one for His creation, and He has one specific to you. Nothing that God does is random or without design, including the creation of mankind. In this lesson, we will examine God’s purpose for creating us as mankind, and as individuals.
From the very beginning, we can see that God had a plan for the creation of man. Genesis 1:26 tells us that God made man in his image, and with the express purpose of having man rule over God’s creation. God desired a relationship with man, and man had a purpose—all before anything was made. We are not an accident of evolution; we are human beings created to fulfill the purpose that God has given us, and we are to glorify God in the process.
God begins to show us that purpose in Genesis 1:28. Read the following scriptures and note what they tell us about God’s purpose for mankind, and His specific purpose for you.
- Genesis 1:26-28, "Then God said, ‘Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.’ So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. God blessed them and said to them, ‘Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.’"
- Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
- Psalm 8:4-6, "what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them? You have made them a little lower than the angels and crowned the with glory and honor. You made them rulers over the works of your hands; you put everything under their feet."
- Psalm 57:2 (ESV), "I cry out to God Most High, to God who fulfills his purpose for me."
- Ephesians 2:10, "For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."
- Psalm 139:13-16, "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earthy. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."
- Micah 6:8, "He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."
- Matthew 22:37-38, "Jesus replied: Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment."
- Ecclesiastes 12:13, "Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the duty of all mankind."
- 1 Corinthians 10:31, "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."
- Isaiah 43:7, "Everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made."
Never for a moment doubt that God has forgotten you, or that your life has no meaning or purpose. When we turn our eyes to Jesus, he comforts us, encourages us, and he is always there beside us—this is all because he loves us. He loves us enough to have given his life on the cross to die for our sins, and to bring us hope, peace, and an eternal home with him. We are not simply clones that God created and is now sitting back waiting to see what happens with us and to us. Rather, He has a purpose for each of us and will reveal that to us if we seek Him with all our hearts.
Again, consider the following scriptures and note what they tell us about God’s purpose for mankind, and His specific purpose for you.
- Luke 10:27, "He answered, ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind;’ and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’"
- Psalm 121:2, "My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth" (emphasis mine).
- Matthew 7:7, "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."
- James 1:16-18, "Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters. Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created."
God is a God of purpose, a God of design, and above all He is a God of love. He has a purpose and a plan for your life. All you need do is seek Him and he will reveal it to you.
Have a great week everyone!