Angels and Demons: Debunking the Myths
Lesson 10 w/AnswersDemonology: Part 1
We conclude our lesson series by beginning a two-part look at the demons, the fallen angels who follow Satan. We have learned much about them already. They cannot force or coerce us to do anything; they can only do what God allows them to do. They are not all-knowing or all-powerful; nor can they read our minds, our thoughts. They are like the Angel that they follow, in that they are deceivers, liars, and above all, enemies of God. Everything they seek to do is opposed to God and is in rebellion against Him.
In this lesson, we will look at witchcraft, divination, spiritism, and we will see what the Bible says about them. Remember, as we begin this study, that demons are opposed to God. This is the one fundamental truth about them and their actions that will help us separate the truth from a lie.
As we look at the world of spiritism, which includes witchcraft and divination we need to remember that in Old Testament times superstition was everywhere, including in the New Testament days of the disciples. They believed that demons were in everything from mountains to seas, and they blamed demons for everything from toothaches, headaches, broken bones to outbursts of anger. All of these misfortunes are actually related to human nature living in a fallen state, a fallen world—and not the result of demonic activities.
CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND EXERCISES:
- Look up and define the following terms, which are forms of spiritism. The Holman Bible Dictionary may be a useful resource, if you have access to a copy.
- ANSWER: An attempt to contact supernatural powers to determine answers to questions hidden to humans and usually involving the future.
- ANSWER: Telling the future by examining the liver of an animal.
- ANSWER: Foretelling the future by natural signs, especially the flight of birds.
- ANSWER: A form of divination by mixing fluids.
- ANSWER: A form of divination using casting of lots, bones, stones, etc.
- ANSWER: Talking to the dead.
- Identify which of the above forms of spiritism apply in the following examples:
- Genesis 44:5
- ANSWER: Hydromancy.
- Jonah 1:7-8
- ANSWER: Cleromancy.
- 2 Kings 21:5-6
- ANSWER: Describes the use of many of the above, including sorcery, divination, and necromancy.
- 1 Samuel 28:6
- ANSWER: Urim and Thummim, a form of cleromancy.
- 1 Samuel 28:7-25
- ANSWER: Necromancy.
- Ezekiel 21:21
- ANSWER: Hepatoscopy and cleromancy.
- Genesis 44:5
- What does the Bible tell us about the things that will happen in the days following Christ, especially as His Second Coming draws near? See 1 Timothy 4:1-3
- ANSWER: There will be a revival and expansion of spiritism. People within the so-called "church" will abandon sound doctrine, and will begin following deceiving spirits and things taught by demons.
- What does God tell us about these things as it relates to our walk with Him and His only son Jesus? See Leviticus 19:26, Leviticus 19:31, Leviticus 20:6, Leviticus 20:27, Deuteronomy 18:10-11, and Isaiah 8:19.
- ANSWER: God admonishes His people not to do things involving spiritism, divination, etc.
Clearly the Bible teaches us to stay away from all forms of spiritism, divination, witchcraft, and any type of fortune telling. We are to be completely dependent on God and the leadership of the Holy Spirit, as we follow Christ. The Father of Lies and his followers want to destroy the followers of Christ. They are opposed to God and all that follow him. We need to be constantly on the watch for these deceiving spirits and not fall prey to them.
In our next lesson, we will examine the topic of demon possession.
Thanks for studying with us!