Old Testament Survey
Lesson 8I Samuel Chapters 1-8
This week we’ll begin our look at the books from tribal rule (individual tribes united in worship of a single God) to kingdom rule (where all tribes will be governed by a single ruler -- a king). Samuel will also continue to wage the war begun by Samson against the Philistines, through which he’ll recapture the Ark lost in battle during the time of Eli the High Priest.
There is much that we can learn from studying Samuel closely, but for purposes of our survey of the Old Testament, we will not do this now, but instead focus on hitting the highlights.
For this week, read I Samuel Chapters 1 through Chapter 8 then answer the following:
- Summarize the faith of Hannah. What spiritual principle(s) can we draw from her life?
- During the time of Samuel’s birth, much is happening between God and Eli the High Priest. Read Chapter 2:17-36 and describe the situation and the resulting prophecy God gives Eli.
- Sketch out a character profile of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas below:
- Describe the battle of Aphek. Since the Ark was taken, did God lose? What prophecies were fulfilled?
- What did the Philistines discover about the Ark of the Covenant?
- Describe the battle of Mizpah:
- Define the word Henotheism, what is it?
- Describe the circumstances surrounding the request for a king.
From the books of Samuel through the books of the Kings we’ll learn much about man -- that which is honorable and that which is dishonorable. This week our study contrasts Samuel’s mother and Samuel, who walk in faith and upright in God’s eyes, with Eli and his two sons who do not. We can learn much from the faith and persistence of Hannah and the commitment of Samuel that we can apply in our own lives.
Let’s pray that God will find us faithful as we live our lives each day, strong in our faith that God is watching over us and providing all of our needs. Find someone this week to share the Gospel of Christ with – the Good News, that God is alive and His Son has died and rose for us that we may have eternal life!
Have a great week everyone.