Children's Questions About God and the Bible
Lesson 1 w/answersLittle Kids Ask the Toughest Questions
Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." (Matthew 19:14)
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. (Isaiah 55:8)
A list questions was compiled from kindergarteners and 1st graders. No problem, right?... WRONG! As adults, we may not spend too much time thinking about the questions below, but we owe it to our children (and our non-believing associates) to have answers for them.
(And you thought that all kids do on Sunday mornings is run around, play and color!)
Here is a list of the questions these younger children think about a lot.
- How do people stay up in heaven and not fall through the clouds?
- ANSWER: The heaven thatís above the clouds is what we call sky. In the sky we see clouds, the sun and the moon and billions of stars. But the heaven God is in, the heaven we go to when we die is way, way, way, above that heaven in another place and that is where weíll live with God. The Bible calls it paradise. We wonít have to worry about falling through the clouds as weíll be in a different place way above the clouds. (Gen 1:6-8 and Luke 23:43)
- What do we wear in heaven?
- ANSWER; The Bible tells us we will be wearing white robes, wonít that be neat? Weíll get new bodies, new clothes, a new name, and new heaven and a new earth. We wonít grow old, we get sick, there will be no pain, no tears and weíll have beautiful robes to wear. Heaven is a beautiful place and God will give us beautiful clothes to wear. (Revelation 7:9, 19:8 and 21:1-4)
- How do you rise from the grave?
- ANSWER: Actually you donít, Jesus will do it for you. When itís time for us to get our new bodies a trumpet will sound and Jesus will call our bodies out of the grave and they will be brand new ones, just like the one He got when God raised him from the grave. (1 Thessalonians 4:15-17)
- How did the rock get pushed away from Jesus tomb?
- ANSWER: The Bible tells us an angel came and rolled the stone away. (Matthew 28:2)
- Why does God live in the Church?
- ANSWER: God does not physically live in the ďchurchĒ, it is a place we call the house of God where we come to worship Him. God lives in the Heavens far above us but His son Jesus is building a new heaven and a new earth where someday weíll live with God in the same place He is, and it will be a very beautiful city. Today we come to Godís house, the church building, to worship Him, in the future weíll live were God lives and weíll see Him everyday. (Revelation 21:1-4)
- How can God be everywhere? Does He have a lot of eyes?
- ANSWER: God is a Spirit and as a spirit he doesnít have physical eyes like we have but he is able to see everything. Itís one of those mysteries we wonít understand about God until weíre in heaven with him. But the Bible tells us He sees everything and nothing is hidden from him, he is everywhere at all times and sees everything. This means no matter where we are God knows weíre there and because He sees everything He knows what we need before we know it, isnít God awesome? (Hebrews 4:13)
- Who put Jesus on the cross?
- ANSWER: The people who actually put Jesus on the Cross where Roman Soldiers. In fact the Roman army had special units of soldiers who were trained on how to crucify people. They were the ones who nailed Jesus to the cross then stood guard and made sure that Jesus died before they took Him down. (Matthew 27:27-31 and John 19:32-34)
- Who is Godís brother?
- ANSWER: God doesnít have a brother. God is God; there was no one before God. God does show Himself to us in three ways, as God our Father in heaven, as the Holy Spirit who lives in our hearts, and as Jesus as Godís only son who came and died on the cross for us. Because of Jesus we are the children of God and He is our Holy Father who loves us very much and wants us to love Him in return. (Genesis 1:1, Romans 8:16, Isaiah 43:11, Isaiah 44:6, 45:5, 45:18, 45:21-22 and Isaiah 46:9)
- How did the fire get started (burning bush and Moses), and did it really happen?
- ANSWER: When Moses saw the burning bush the Bible tells us the Angel of Lord came as flame and it was in the middle of the burning bush, so the Angel of the Lord started it burning. It also says the bush didnít burn, that the fire didnít burn up the bush; this was a real miracle and attracted Moses to the bush. This is also the fire God tells us about in hell, the one that burns forever in the Lake of Fire where the Devil and all his followers will be sent forever. They will burn night and day and never die, never be burned up, just like the bush that burned but didnít get burnt. And yes it really happened; God wouldnít put a lie in the Bible. (Exodus 3:1-3, Matthew 25:44, Mark 9:47-48, Revelation 14:11, Revelation 20:10, and Revelation 20:14.)
- How can we hear God talk?
- ANSWER: We can hear God talk if we stop, look and listen. God speaks to us in many, many ways. He speaks to us through His Holy Word, the Bible, and all those people he sends to speak to us for Him, like your pastor or your teacher, he speaks to us through the world around us that He created Ė you can learn a lot about God by looking very carefully at His creation, and at times He will actually speak to us in a voice we can hear and understand, you just need to listen. (Exodus 3:1-4, Exodus 15:26, Numbers 7:89, Isaiah 6:8 and Matthew 17:5)
- How did God create the whole world?
- ANSWER: He spoke. God is more powerful than anything we can imagine. The Bible tells us He created the earth, the sky and the whole universe just by speaking. If he is that powerful imagine how much He can help you when you ask Him for help? And, imagine how much God loves you that as powerful as He is He chose to create you and to make a place for you in heaven. (Genesis 1:1-3 and Matthew 25:34)
- Why would God create animals that hurt people?
- ANSWER: God didnít create animals that hurt people, but that is what happened after Adam and Eve sinned and went against Godís command. In the beginning all of the animals were friendly to people, they ate grass and other vegetation; it wasnít until after God destroyed His original creation with the flood that animals and people became enemies, and they both began to eat meat and flesh. God tells us that when Jesus comes back and builds a new heaven and a new earth the animals will be friendly with people again and we can play with lions and snakes and all sorts of animals and they wonít hurt us at all, but today thatís not so and we have to be careful around animals or they will hurt us. (Genesis 1:29-30 and 9:1-3 and Isaiah 11:6-9)
- Why do we come to Church?
- ANSWER: Because we want to worship Jesus and because it is Jesus who builds the church. He does this so that we may come together to worship Him, to learn about Him, and to pray to Him. The Bible tells us we are to gather together to encourage each other and to help each other live the life Jesus wants each of us to live. The church is our gathering place where Jesus to speaks all of us at one time and helps us help others. (Matthew 16:18 and Hebrews 10:24-25)
- Was the devil a devil or an angel?
- ANSWER: The devil is an angel; the Bible calls him a fallen angel. When God created the angels he created one that was more beautiful and special than all the other angels, Lucifer was his name. But Lucifer thought because he was so special he didnít need God, and he thought that he could rise above God and to prove it he wanted to ruin Godís plan of creating us and having us live in Heaven with Him. Satan is what the Bible calls him now and God is going to cast Lucifer down and all the angels who follow Lucifer into the Lake of Fire, and anyone on earth who follows after Satan and rejects Jesus will also go there forever, never to see Heaven. But all of the other angles who followed God and all of us who accept Jesus will go to heaven and live there with God forever. (Ezekiel 28:12-15 and Isaiah 14:3-14)
- How did the devil become the devil?
- ANSWER: See similar question above.
I am looking forward to seeing the other age group children's questions in our upcoming lessons.
Yours in Christ,