Christ Before the Manger
Lesson 2Christ the Creator
Continuing our study of "Christ Before the Manger", let’s pick up where we left off in our last lesson and look at Christ’s role as our creator.
Through the eyes of God’s Holy Word, we will see what it was like before creation and what it will be like after this current creation passes away. We will discover Christ’s central role, from Genesis 1:1 to Revelation 22:21, and see what a blessed Savior we have.
For this lesson, let’s consider the following passages and what they reveal to us about Christ as our Creator.
- What was it like before creation? Surely at some point in your life, you have tried to consider the possible answers to this question. What was it like before anything but God-in-three-persons existed? Did you know that the Bible provides us some insight into this? What does John 17:24 tell us?
- When we consider that our One and only God is also a trinity of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, it can be a little difficult to understand how they all interrelate. Furthermore, trying to interpret the role that each of them had/have in creation can sometimes be confusing. So let’s see if we can gain some clarity around these questions by studying 1 Corinthians 8:6. From this, write out a quick sentence or two that better explains the relationships within the Trinity, and the role that each member played, and will continue to play, in creation.
- The New Testament in particular is very prolific about proclaiming Christ as our Creator. It turns out that a study of the verses below (and many others that we won’t have time to cover here) provides us examples of direct references to Christ in the Old Testament as well. Look them up and jot down how they speak to you about Christ’s role as creator.
- John 1:3
- Colossians 1:15-20
- Hebrews 1:1-14
- Psalm 102:12-28 -- Why is the fact that these verses are also quoted in Hebrews important to our study? Do you suppose this is an indication to us that Christ is the one being referred to here as "LORD"? Is it possible that this is also true in many other Old Testament passages?
- In addition to this creation in which we live today, did you know there is another creation that Christ is preparing, and that we will also live in that creation? It will be eternal, as will we also be. Have a look at the verses below. What do they tell us about Christ’s coming creation?
- John 14:1-3
- Revelation 21:1-7
- Revelation 21:9-10
- Revelation 21:22-27
- Revelation 22:1-5
As we continue this mini-study, I pray that the Holy Spirit will reveal to you more about Christ our Savior then you previously knew. As we discovered in the current lesson, He is indeed the "Alpha and Omega", the beginning and the end, and that through Him all things were made. We have placed our faith in the creator of our universe, our Father in heaven, and the author and finisher of our faith. Christ, our all-in-all, loved us so much that he did all of this for us; and He is preparing a new home for us, and sits on the throne at the right hand of God interceding for us day and night.
What a great and blessed redeemer we have! I hope and pray that this study will strengthen your faith and deepen your spiritual vision. May God richly bless you this week as we search and study to learn more about our loving Savior and Lord.