Living the Christian Life
Lesson 8The Discipline of Submission
We continue our study of the spiritual disciplines with the last of the "outward" disciplines, namely the Discipline of Submission. Specifically, we will be examining what it means to be "submissive", and what the Bible regarding about how we should exercise this discipline.
As with everything in our Christian walk, Christ is our model. This lesson will be no exception, as we look at how Christ shows us what living the submissive life looks like and the blessings that come from it.
Consider the following scriptures and all that they tell us concerning the Discipline of Submission.
- What is submission? How can we define it? How does the Bible define it? Read Romans 13:1-3 and note what it indicates to you about submission. What is it? How is it manifested?
- How did Christ model submission? See Hebrews 5:7-8.
- Today, who do the angels, authorities, and powers submit to? See 1 Peter 3:22.
- Read Psalm 30. What does it tell us concerning submission?
- The 23rd Psalm is a great Psalm about the submissive life. What are some of the highlights of this Psalm as it relates to submission?
- In order to submit to God, we must know Him, and we must seek Him out. What do the following verses tell us regarding this aspect of submission?
- Deuteronomy 4:29
- 1 Chronicles 28:9
- Psalm 14:1-3
- How did David model the discipline of submission? See Psalm 63:1-3.
- What does the Bible tells us about submission and pleasing God? What is the first thing that we must have? See Hebrews 11:5-7.
Let us pray that this week, like David and Christ, that we will seek God with all of our heart, mind, and soul; and that we will submit to His will in our lives.
Thanks for studying with us!