Living the Christian Life
Lesson 9The Discipline of Confession
We take another step in our journey through the Christian Disciplines by exploring the Discipline of Confession. As we acknowledge God’s authority in our lives, we must also acknowledge how far short we have fallen in following His will and living according to His word. Confession cleanses our soul and restores our relationship with Him through His unending and boundless grace and forgiveness.
As we submit to God’s will, let’s also confess our sins to Him.
To help us accomplish the above, let’s reflect on what His Holy Word has to say about confession.
- Read 1 John 1:9. What does this verse tell us regarding confession? What are we to do? What will God do in return?
- We are provided many instructions throughout the Bible concerning how we are to live in order to please God. Romans 13:11-14 speaks to this. What does this passage tell us; and specifically, how does Romans 13:14 relate to 1 John 2:16?
- In Luke 15:11-31, the well-known parable of The Prodigal Son is told by Jesus. It provides lessons for us regarding sin and confession. Note below what we can learn about these two topics from this parable.
- Read the following Bible passages and note what each of them tells us about sin and confession.
- Psalm 32:5
- Proverbs 28:13
- 2 Timothy 2:19
- James 5:16
- Lest we forget, there is also a "confession" of a different sort. What type of confession do these passages refer to?
- John 1:20
- 2 Corinthians 9:13
- 1 Timothy 6:12-13
Confession is difficult for us, because it means approaching God’s throne in an unclean condition and admitting to God that we have done wrong. Often, it means also acknowledging and admitting to God that when we did wrong, we knew that it was wrong—but that we allowed our will and our desires to cloud our judgment and come between us and God, enabling sin to enter our lives. On a personal basis, this is particularly difficult for me, because I find myself having to confess the same sins over and over again. I ask myself, "How long will God continue to forgive me and to love me?" God whispers back His answer in a still quiet voice: "Forever". God loves each of us, and His desire is that we confess our sins and get our relationship right with Him again. He stands waiting and looking for our return with His arms open wide. All we have to do is take the first step towards Him, and He will come running toward us!
Have a great week everyone!!