Missions: 13 Weeks
Week 10Southern Baptist Disaster Relief
Welcome to our tenth week of studying about missions and focusing on the mission-related work currently on-going in our neighborhood and around the world. This week we’ll look at the Southern Baptist North American Mission Board's "Disaster Relief" organization.
The stated purpose/mission of Southern Baptist Disaster Relief is to provide help to victims of natural and man-made disasters, such as floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, fires, and terrorist attacks in North America and overseas.
Based on your findings at the Disaster Recovery web site above, the associated Resource Manual found there, and the information found at the Virginia Baptist Disaster Relief Services web site, answer the following:
- What are the four stages of disaster response ("The Four R's")?
- Who administers Southern Baptist Disaster Relief
- at the national level?
- at the state level?
- at the local level?
- What are some ways Southern Baptists minister to those suffering from disasters?
- What disaster relief assets do Virginia Baptists utilize?
- How many Virginia Baptists have been trained for disaster relief?
- What organizations do Southern Baptists partner with in disaster relief?
- What are some occasions when Virginia Baptists have responded?
- What are some ways Southview members can participate in Virginia Baptist disaster relief efforts?
- Additional resources related to Southern Baptist Disaster Relief:
In my home church, Southview, we are fortunate to have Dave Tolliver as the local coordinator for VA Baptist Disaster Relief.
It is encouraging to be affiliated with an organization that ministers to people at their basic needs level, and demonstrates the love of Christ to them in a very tangible way.