End Times: Back to the Future
Lesson 17 w/AnswersRevelation Chapters 14 and 15
In previous lessons, we observed the description of Satan, the Anti Christ, and the False Prophet; and their mission of destruction. We now take a look at Christ’s plan for the salvation of the portion of mankind that remained on the earth during the seven-year period. In our next lesson, God will bring his final judgments on those who reject Christ’s plan and continue to follow after Satan.
Questions for Revelation Chapters 14 and 15
- Compare Revelation 14:1 with Revelation 15:3. What is the name given to Christ in each of these verses,and how are they different?
- ANSWER: In Chapter 14, Christ is referred to as the Lamb of God. Soon after, in Chapter 15, Christ is referred to as "King of the Saints". Furthermore, the angels now sing asking "Who shall not fear thee, O Lord?" From here on, Christ will be seen as the mighty King and not the humble Lamb.
- In Revelation 14:1, how many are standing with Christ?
- ANSWER: 144,000 are standing with Him.
- In Revelation 14:2, what is the "voice of many waters" (or "roar of rushing water", depending on translation) referring to? (See Isaiah 17:12-13 and Revelation 17:15 for examples of what "many waters" refers to.) Who would be referenced in this verse?
- ANSWER: As we can see in Isaiah 17:12-13, it refers to multitudes of many people — many nations. Similarly, Revelation 17:15 refers to many peoples, tongues, and nations.
- In Revelation 14:3, what is meant by the phrase "they sang a new song"?
- ANSWER: The 144,000 who are sealed, will be given a message about the Gospel that only they can learn. It will be their message as they testify to the world that Christ’s return is imminent and that the time for salvation is running out. In Matthew 24:13-14, perhaps we can observe a glimpse of that "new song" — the message being that "he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved." They will be spreading the Gospel message during a time of great trouble on the earth, times of trouble and tribulation such as has never been seen before nor will again. Enduring, and holding strong onto the hope that is Christ, will be critical during this time of great apostasy and persecution. Perhaps this will be their "new song".
- What is the everlasting gospel message that will be preached around the world, i.e., "to them that dwell on the earth"?
- ANSWER: The answer to this question is contained in Revelation 14:7: "Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters."
- How do we know this message will literally be preached all over the world? Revelation 14:6 tells us tha it will be preached "to every __________, and __________, and __________, and ___________."
- ANSWER: Revelation 14:6 states that it will be preached "unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people."
- What is the punishment that will come to those who take the mark of the beast and worship the beast and his image? (see Revelation 14:10)
- ANSWER: "He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone."
- When the followers of the beast are punished, who is present and for how long? (see Revelation 14:10-11)
- ANSWER: The Bible tells us this will be done to them "in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb...and their torment ascends forever and ever."
- What does Revelation 14:13 tell us about the dead which die in the Lord during this time?
- ANSWER: That they are blessed, they will rest from their labors, and their works will follow them.
- What do you suppose "resting from their labors" and the fact that "their works follow them" means?
- ANSWER: They will have been subjected to great persecution during their time of testimony during the Great Tribulation. That persecution will end for them when they enter their time of rest. Blessings are given them because of their testimony; the Lord will not forget the "works" that they accomplished while they were on the earth, witnessing during this great time of trial and persecution.
- What is described in the verses of Revelation 14:14-20?
- ANSWER: Great bloodshed and death breaks out throughout the earth, in particular in the Middle East and around Jerusalem. See also Isaiah 63:1-3, Daniel 11:40-45, and Revelation 16:14.
- We have seen the seven trumpets; now we prepare for the seven vials, the seven last judgments. How are they described in Revelation 15:1?
- ANSWER: They are described as the seven last plagues.
- Now that the final judgments are about to take place, what is the title given to Christ in Revelation 15:3?
- ANSWER: He is now referred to as the "King", and one who is to be feared. Christ is preparing to return as the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
Next lesson: Babylon.